The Society was started in 1904 by Pelly House Men’s Club. Its activities were varied and colourful. In 1924 the Show schedule included such things as “a plate of boiled potatoes” and ” a basket of 12 eggs (cottagers only)”! In the 20s and 30s the Shows were held in a marquee in the grounds of St Just, Roebuck Lane. Today it is know as Linders Field. As part of the Buckhurst Hill Fete, they took place on a Wednesday afternoon as this was Early Closing Day. In 1957 the Buckhurst Hill Allotments’ Association ceased to exist and at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the Society in July, the Allotments’ Association was absorbed into the Society where it remained until 1983. In that year the Buckhurst Hill Leisure Gardens Association was formed and in the 90s the word “Allotments” was removed from the Society’s title. About this time, the Shows moved to the Centenary Hall of St John’s Church in High Road, Buckhurst Hill and it is there today that the Shows attract members and visitors to view the excellent entries in the various Show categories.
Over the years the Society has eagerly taken an active role in local events to mark specific occasions of the year. To mark the Millennium in 2000, an Open Garden Day was arranged in aid of a local charity and this was repeated in 2002 to mark Her Majesty the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Year. Also in that year, the Society took part in the Buckhurst Hill Town Centre Partnership Carnival by entering a float and winning an engraved bowl. In 2012 we celebrated Her Majesty the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee by planting a tree in the Roding Valley Recreation Ground.